Energetic transition: ENGIE focuses on green hydrogen
- 13 December 2017
Leader of the energy transition, ENGIE encourages and actively participates in the emergence of a green hydrogen market. In fact, the Group has just created a structure specifically dedicated to this promising energy. The opportunity is to take stock of this gas.
Green hydrogen, a key issue for the industry
The industry has been using the properties of hydrogen (H2) for more than a century - a gas that has been valued primarily as raw material until now. Today, 96% of hydrogen is extracted from fossil sources (oil, natural gas and coal).
However, new reliable and increasingly economical technologies are now making it possible to produce green hydrogen from using renewable electricity and water electrolysis. Then ,the gas obtained can be used in particular :
- for the storage of energy,
- as fuel for fuel cell vehicles,
- to decarbonize industrial processes.
By 2022, the green hydrogen market should weigh nearly 1 billion euros. Those forecast could increase considerably depending on the evolution of regulations.
Green Hydrogen: ENGIE's expertise
Since COP21, a growing number of industrialists are committing to the path of decarbonisation of their activities. In this context, ENGIE offers a wide range of green and decentralized solutions, including green hydrogen. In connection with the Group's various entities, Global Energy helps its industrial customers to define the roadmap for their energy transition. The control of the entire H2 value chain enables ENGIE to offer a reliable and competitive production of green hydrogen on site, which can be used by other users (in particular green mobility players) to develop a local ecosystem .
The added value of Global Energy:
- a supply of electricity of renewable origin in line with the customer's strategy (guarantees of origin or PPPs from existing local assets or under construction),
- the optimization of the electrolyzer’s operation as a function of market prices,
- a valuation of the flexibility of the electrolyzer as a function of the Demand Response profile,
- a guarantee of competitiveness compared to hydrogen produced from natural gas over a horizon of up to 10 years.
> For more information on our hydrogen offer, contact us at the following address: email@example.com.