Demand Response : They trust us
DEMAND RESPONSE TESTIMONIAL #1
Stora Enso testifies how they implemented the Demand Response Offer with ENGIE.
Stora Enso is a leading provider of renewable solutions in packaging, biomaterials, wood and paper on global markets. Stora Enso is active in more than 35 countries, with some 27 000 employees and is publicly listed in Helsinki and Stockholm. Global Energy and Stora Enso Langerbrugge implemented together a Demand Response Program.
Why Demand Response?
For the Stora Enso Langerbrugge site , energy is our second most important raw material. To meet our energy needs, the group invested in two biomass-fired qualitative CHP units that we operate and manage ourselves. The 2 power plants combined foresee in 100% of our heat demand and about 70% of our electricity balance. We purchase the remaining 30% electricity from the grid and have had a strategic partnership with Global Energy for a number of years for that purpose.
Paper is not a growing market. This is part of the reason why cost effectiveness and increased productivity are key criteria for us.
In November 2014, we chose to switch to Demand Response to valorise on our flexible capacity for the deinking system in paper machine 4, without losing any of our production capacity.
As flexible consumer, Stora Enso has committed to switching off electrical power in the deinking preparation equipment accounting for 5MW of consumption up to 40 times a year.
Why did you choose Global Energy ?
We were definitely very satisfied when we assessed Demand Response’s performance over the past winter. For us, Demand Response is an example of our active energy policy on the site and one of the ways in which Stora Enso is contributing to the new energy policy of the future
DEMAND RESPONSE TESTIMONIAL #2
ALERIS testifies how they implemented the Demand Response Offer with ENGIE.
ALERIS is a US-based company which has production facilities in North America, Europe and China. Its main activity is the production of rolled products, based on recycled scrap and then complemented with primary aluminum. ENGIE and Aleris implemented together a Demand Response mechanism.
ALERIS testifies : Why DR ?
In Belgium, we are faced with electricity supply issues in winter times.
The costs related to these issues are adding up;
- We need to hire diesel engines for the winter
- We are confronted with an increase in commodity prices and grid costs
- We need to set-up a contingency plan to minimize operational risk.
For us, Demand Response is a solution to offset part of that cost by obtaining some savings . So, the main reason is trying to compensate the cost we have with this tight energy supply situation.
We have signed two contracts:
- The first contract allows ENGIE to command our diesel aggregates with a simple sms.
- The second one is a mechanism through which ENGIE just send us a signal to immediately shut off our induction furnaces in our cast house.
Would you recommend ENGIE to sign a DR contract?
I would recommend to do so. The main reasons are that first of all, we had all the necessary support to install the system in house. Secondly, together with the supplier, we could fine-tune the specific aspects of the DR program. A third reason is that the contracts are quite simple, although quite clear, giving clear commitments for both parties. So yes, I would definitely go for it.